Monday, September 21, 2009

One of these things is not like the other...

Since my change from a working mom to a SAHM I've had some parts of me that are missing. I crave to be part of something that is in no way connected to my family.

I need to get over that. Let me share why.

I decided to sign up for the tech team at my church. I thought it would be fairly simple. I would show up to practice on the week it was my turn to run the board. Then I would run the board on that Sunday. Win/Win for all involved.

Then I attended my first meeting. YEEAAAHHHH, not so much win/win.

First part of the meeting we do a bible devotional. Really a cool thing. This devotional was about Truth. Even better. I like truth. Truth is important in all aspects of life.

Here's where it took a wrong turn. The group leader started talking about how the bible is black and white.

WOOP WOOP WOOP. Warning Warning.

I raise my eyebrows but say nothing, curious as to where this was going to go.

He goes on to say that there are not multiple ways to interprate what God says in the bible. That there is no color in the bible. It's steadfast, it says what it says and that it.

Ok - wait a minute. Last time I checked there were many ways to interprate many things in the bible.

That's what preachers do. They pick a verse and make it work for the theme they are preaching on.

So I started stewing. I was not in a position that I could start spouting my beliefs. I didn't want to be stoned before I completed my first technical training.

Then we went over the rules and requirements for persons wanting to belong to the praise/technical team.

One of the items was that you have to have "Public Life of obedience to God's word - your life outside of church will be observed by many who will see you in the community"

I completely understand why they have that in. People are judgmental by nature. They are EXTRA critical of those that they know are "christians".

Here's where my issue comes in. I do, on occasion, like to go out and tear up the town". I will hit the bars, dance, drink and be loud.

Does this make me less a christian? I don't think so. I'm pretty sure that God didn't intend for me to stop having fun because I accepted him as my Lord and Saviour.

However, it does mean that I cannot be a major player in the church, however much my skills may be useful.

Hence the reason I need to quit trying to be part of something outside of my family.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Haha! I think that more than just your family understands you and agrees with you! There are many Christian people who love to go out and have fun! I don't think the bible says that is wrong! If it does, I am in a world of hurt.

I think you should stick it out and keep on going with the tech group! You will love it!