Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Is Santa to be....or not to be......THAT is the question.

Today at playdate an interesting topic came up. There were 4 of us moms there. Two of them had decided to tell their children from the get go that Santa does not exist. Two others (one being myself) felt that it was important that our children believe in Santa.

This was brought to light by a post a member of our church had put on facebook. I haven't read that post, but the way it was explained to me was that this mom didn't want her child believing in Santa because when she grew up a bit and found out that truth that she would think her parents lied to her not only about Santa, but our Jesus Christ, and God.

WOW!!!! What a presumption. I was raised in a fairly "religious" home. Both of my granndfathers - my mom's dad and my dad's dad, were pastors up to their deaths. We were raised in church. I cut my teeth on the back of the church pews. Yet it was never a concern about if we should believe in Santa or not.

We were taught from day 1 about the true meaning of the season. The birth of Jesus. The glorious miracle that took place a long time ago. Never once in my mind did I think that Santa had anything to do with the birth of Christ. When I determined that Santa wasn't real, I NEVER thought that made Jesus not real. Same with the Easter Bunny and the tooth fairy.

I have another friend who was, for a long time, a single mom. She chose to tell her kids that Santa was fake because she wanted her kids to know that SHE was responsible for the presents, not some jolly old elf. That logic I can understand.

But why can't kids have some magic when they are young? Why do we have to confront them with life's harsh realities at such a young age? I have yet to meet someone that said "Ya know, my life would be sooooo much better if my parents hadn't let me believe in Santa for a few years."

I know that everyone has to make a decision for their family that they feel is right. And it is only correct that I respect their decisions and do not judge them for it. Lord knows I don't need anyone judging me for mine.

No comments: