Sunday, July 10, 2011

Bruschetta Chicken Bake and Avocado Salad



Tonight for dinner I made Bruschetta Chicken Bake and Avocado Salad.

The dishes received 3 stars. Only because the daughter does not like anything with tomatoes. However, before I finished my first helping both the Husband and the Boy finished off the rest of the salad. So I would say it was a HUGE success.

I know, I know...the chicken dish used a stuffing mix. However I had one in my cupboard that I needed to use up since I paid for it. So if I make it in the future I will make a few changes, like making my own stuffing mix, and I will use fresh tomatoes instead of canned. Also, I used a low fat Shredded Mozzarella Cheese which I don't think changed the taste at all.

For the Avocado salad I doubled the recipe and was able to use the local feta cheese I got from the Farmer's Market on Saturday. I did use smoked Feta which may have altered the taste a bit, but I think for the better. I also used fresh little onions that I got from the Farmer's Market.

Now about the onions, I would usually just leave them out. I personally HATE onions, but they looked so cute and wholesome....like a magazine picture...so I bought them. I wasn't really sure what I would use them in and I just figured my husband and kids would snack on them. They were about the size of large marbles. They were bigger than ramps or scallions but not as big as a regular onion. I felt so chef like as I prepared and chopped them..and I didn't even cry. Except when I picked them out of my serving of salad.

Then I cried a little because it is sooooo irritating to pick onions out of anything.

No comments: