Saturday, July 9, 2011

My first experience with a Farmer's Market

I set my alarm last night for 8:00 this morning. Why would I set my alarm on a Saturday? To go to the Farmer's Market, of course!

After not planting a garden much prompting from certain friends and doing my own internet researching I've decided to try to buy local produce. According to EVERYONE the best place to do this is at a local farmer's market.

Because I live in such a bizarre location I have equal distance to two different markets. Today I chose this one. I must admit, it was both awesome and a let down.

In my mind there would be TONS of vendors with a wide variety of produce. Now maybe it's because everything is behind due to rain, or maybe it's just the way this market is, but that was NOT the case.

There were a few vendors. It was about even between vegetable vendors and baked goods vendors. There was only one Goats Milk product vendor. The only fruit on the premises were berries.

However, this did make me think that maybe certain fruits aren't in season. And the fruit I've been buying at other stores is shipped in and is not really that healthy nor does it support local growers.


Now about the prices. I did pay more for my cabbage than I would have at Giant Eagle, but I saved about $4.00 on herbs and about $3.00 on cucumbers. So that kinda evens that out.

All and all it was good. I walked in the fresh air, I bought local produce and cheese thereby supporting local farmers and goat people. Most importantly I walked out of the market feeling good about my choices AND saving money.

If YOU are going to a Farmer's Market for the first time I would keep these things in mind:

1.) Take Cash

2.) Bring your own bags. You aren't doing much for the environment if you are using the plastic grocery bags they provide. Plus by using reusable bags you will LOOK much more experienced.

3.) If you don't see what you want, ask at different tables if they will have it. If a vendor knows that you will come back they will bring it the following week.

This is a great place to make food friendly relationships which is both rare and lovely.

No comments: