Thursday, October 18, 2007

Money Talks

We all have money problems. That's no secret. What is considered hard times for me, may be easy street for you, or vice versa.

My DH and I do a pretty good job of providing for our family.

It's can be very non-rewarding, with the bulk of our friends/acquaintences buying new homes, new vehicles, new TV's, etc. My DH feels a pressure to "keep up with the Jones".

I, for one, am happy with less. Don't get me wrong, I want a home, but it doesn't have to be grandiose. I just want a lot of room so that I can hide from my kids.

I don't have to have the newest car, I just want something that I don't have to worry about it breaking down. I have that right now. Ok, Ok...I'll admit, I would like something bigger, like a mini-van. We can't bring anyone with us when we go somewhere, as there is no room between the carseats.

Regarding a new TV, well, honestly I can do without. Don't get me wrong, I would miss it, but man would I get a lot done around the house if I was bored all the time. I get sucked into to watching at least 2-3 shows a night, and I don't do ANYTHING during these shows. Except sit on my fat ass, and get my kids snacks and drinks. That's it. I'm surprised my brain isn't as mushy as my ass.

All I ask, Lord, is that I have enough money to pay my bills, feed my kids, get a new outfit every once in while, and have a date night once a month.

So please, let my DH pick up that new account he's working on. Help me to be more understanding when he's working late, or working on something around the house, and I only get to see him for about 1 hour a night.

I'm sure I'll be posting a bitching blog about how I want to be the one bringing in the extra money, but I CAN'T because I'd have to pay a babysitter to watch the kids, which would decrease the amount of money I bring in, because my DH can't guarantee to be home every night....

Ok...enough.....

I am blessed, and I hope that you are blessed as well.

3 comments:

just to see me smile said...

Funny you should blog about that. We are having problems with the girls being embarrassed that we don't have the money that 98% of Hartville/Uniontown does. Chandler doesn't want to invite friends to her birthday pary because she is afraid they will laugh at how small our house is. Trista had girls from school over for her birthday and I think they may have said something to her. She was crying because we won't let her take her brand new Nintendo DS to school because no one believes she was able to afford to get one. It's so sad. It's to the point Bill wants to move to a lesser school district to help save their self esteam.

But I think you will have that no matter where you go. We do our best, we actually go beyond our means to be able to try and keep up for the girls' sake. I think it bit us in the ass. If we can figure out a way to get it for them, we usually do. But there comes a point where a child needs to understand that in 8 years this stuff won't matter. I wish they could fight it off. Until then all we can do is help them through the best we can.

It breaks my heart tremendously. I am in tears now. Darn society and shitty bratty kids.

Countess B said...

I dread those days, although I know they are coming. I worry about my princess and prince going to school and everyone finding out they really live in a tube. Thats the main reason I want a house.....

I try to teach my kids to be appreciative of what they have, but how exactly do you teach that?

just to see me smile said...

Exactly. We have beat that into the girls' heads forever and until recently, they really were. It's sad that it has to be that way for them. At least it doesn't matter until they are in middle school for the most part.