Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Kill the Thieves!

On Sunday we had the pleasure of attending my husband's family reunion. It was nothing but fun and adventure from the get go. DH wants us to take "the car". You know, the one we have been fighting about. Ok, whatever. So we all load up and take off. About 1/2 way there, we run out of gas. This is because the previous owner had re-routed the gas system so that it was hooked up to a Gallon Jug under the hood to prevent gas thieves.

But do not fear, DH was prepared and had brought fuel with him, so we just had to wait for him to fill up the 1 gallon jug. We then make it to a gas station where he can top off the gallon jug, and re-fill his refueling jug. During this time I run into the store to get pop and ice. My children, of course, come with me.

So my son picks up a roll of Rollos and starts to open them. Then a fun conversation starts.

Me shouting: Little Man - you can't do that!

Princess K: Yeah, that's stealing.

Me: Very good, that IS stealing. Stealing is bad. Mommy needs to pay for it.

Prince S: Oh, ok mommy, here. (He hands the open rollos over and I start to walk towards the pop).

Princess K shouting: Yeah mom, cause we steal ALL the time, don't we?

Wha? Excuse me? Where did this come from? I frantically look around to see if anyone heard her. The lady stocking the shelf quickly looks away so she won't have to make eye contact. The cash register lady is studying the stickers on the counter.

Me: No, Princess K, we do not always steal. We NEVER steal. Stealing is bad, remember?

Princess K: Oh, that's right. Sorry mom.

I hope I got my point across.

Oh not so much to the kids, but I don't want those perfect strangers thinking I steal!!!

No comments: