Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A nice reminder of how stupid I really am.

I have submitted my resume for consideration for a position at the local government office. A requirement of this position is that you take the Civil Service Exam. Yesterday was the written portion.

Actually, my sister and I both applied for that position. So we went together to take the test.

Let's just say that the Lord was giving me hints from the beginning. First we went to the wrong effing building.

See, the government was nice enough to send out letters giving directions and a list of items to bring. Since I didn't have to bring any item, I just skimmed the letter.

Just a word of advice - if you get a letter from the government, READ IT ALL. Word for word, and bring it with you, just in case.

Luckily there was a lady in the building and she told us it was at the Civic Center. So we FLY over there breaking all sorts of speed limits and dodging pedestrians. (Hey, if you see a car coming down the sidewalk, MOVE!)

We get there and end up standing in line! There ended up being 121 people applying for this same position.

Let me tell you - some of those people should not have been there. The test was multiple choice. Standard bubble test. Standard instructions read at the beginning. Make sure you make a complete mark, make sure you don't leave any blank, blah blah blah.

Then it's question/answer time. One lady asked this question "So, if we don't know the answer is it better to leave it blank, or guess and fill one in?"

The procter was much kinder than I would have been. I would have said "If it were up to me, I'd fill it in - Now what is your number again?" Then I would have shredded her test when she turned it in.

Anyhow, I started this test and was immediatly heart broken. All of the questions were multiple choice. 100 total questions - 2 hours to complete. These were the sections and my grade (how I think I did - I will not receive actual results for 3 weeks):

1. Spelling D
2. Math F
3. Comprehension A
4. Budgeting C
5. Office skills A

So as you can see, I did very poorly. I now have a wounded self pride - and I think this answers the question on whether or not I should go back to school.

BUT, based on my interaction with the court system in that City - They will hire me right away!

1 comment:

PrincessButtercup said...

I highly doubt you got a D on spelling. Say it with me cat C-A-T. See it can't be that bad. Don't underestimate yourself. You are smarter than you think.