Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I hate censoring my kids......

I tried to find an example picture to share with you, but I'm typing this at work, and it's difficult dealing with people peering over my shoulder and all of the blocked pages.

Anyhow, I was walking in the BV mall on Monday and there is a store across from Hollister. I don't know what the name of it is. But there is a HUGE picture of a guy in jeans. Which in itself isn't bad, but it was the LOW LOW jeans. I mean where it's so low they had to have airbrushed his peepee out.

Luckily I didn't have my children with me, so I was able to stare. I don't give a crap what the other people think. Of course I'm going to stare.

However, it got me thinking. What would I do/say if my kids were with me? Tell them not to look? Or let them look, and if they questioned why the man was 1/2 naked, tell them that the human body is beautiful. So then they can use that excuse when they want to be naked? And they want all of their little friends around them to be naked?

Sigh -

What am I to do? I don't want to over censor my kids, but I don't want them to be ashamed of their bodies.

What's a mom to do?

2 comments:

Sornie said...

Wow, that's definitely a fine line to walk. Especially one they are teenagers. I have nothing to add but it's an interesting connundrum.

Countess B said...

Yeah, it's a fine line, one that I jump from side to side on. I don't even want to THINK about dealing with these issues with teens.