Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Only a little bit awkward.....

So yesterday I decided to go see my grandpa. He's in the final stages of colon and liver cancer, and his days are growing short. I try to get up at least once a week to see him.

So on my way up, my hubby calls me and says "Hey, after I'm done mowing the grass, I'm taking the kids to a car show in N. Georgetown."

Cool - I'll have some alone time to do whatever I want.

So I have my visit. Then I meet with my sister for a quick dinner, and to give her wallet back.

Then I head home, thinking I have given PLENTY of time for them to be at the car show.

Nope, I was almost home when I passed them on the road, was flagged down, and requested to join them.

What can I say? No - I was planning on touching myself lightly (hey - you gotta fit it in when you can, then reading in solitude? This is an instance where you can't really be honest.

So off we go to the car show. There I run into the first man I will have sex with if me and hubby ever break up. He's a good friend, and my kids adore him so we all stand around and chat for awhile.

Now right next door to this car show is my tall drink of water's house. He's the second person I'll have sex with if DH and I ever break up.

Ok, so his girlfriend is there, and she is, as always, dressed very cute. She's also very nice, so I like her.

However we don't really have a lot in common. We are at different places in our lives. She is at the place I WISH I was.

But my kids are eating their dinner in Tall Drink's garage. We had bought them dinner at the restaurant across the street and Tall Drink set up a table for them, and got them drinks. He loves kids.

So I'm standing there trying to make conversation. She's trying to be a polite hostess but there were a lot of awkward silences.....

It went kinda like this:

Me: So, you work at Ceder Point?

Her: Yeah...

Me: Is that full time, or seasonal.

Her: Full time, there are about 150 employees who are full time and work year round.

Me: Oh, that's pretty cool.....

Her: Yeah......

AWKWARD SILENCE

Me: So.........anything new in your life since I saw you last.

Her: No (awkward laugh)

Me: Us either, our lives are pretty boring.

AWKWARD SILENCE

Me: Well I was glad to see that you and Tall Drink are still together

Her: Yeah - we're still together

Me: That's good.

AWKWARD SILENCE

Her: I'm going to go fill up my drink.


So there was our conversation. I always thought I had good conversation skills. Apparently I need to go back to school.

No comments: